The Psychological Impact of Erectile Dysfunction on Men and Relationships
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is an unfortunate condition that affects many men across the country and planet. The inability to achieve and maintain an erection affects your mental health and sex life and leaves you looking for treatment options. However, many people may not know that erectile dysfunction can be caused by a psychological problem.
What is Psychological Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction is defined as the inability to achieve and maintain an erection sufficient for satisfactory sexual activity. There are many causes of ED including reduced blood flow, low testosterone levels and cardiovascular issues. However, erectile dysfunction can also be caused by psychological issues. Psychological erectile dysfunction is the inability to achieve and maintain an erection due to psychological factors such as depression, anxiety, or stress. About 40% of all erectile dysfunction cases are caused by psychological issues.
Psychological reasons for erectile dysfunction are as real and valid as any other cause of erectile dysfunction and it can significantly affect your sex life and ability to satisfy your partner. It is not a problem that should be ignored, and you should talk to your doctor so you can help uncover the root cause of your erectile dysfunction and deal with ED in a relationship.
Psychological Erectile Dysfunction Causes
Psychological Erectile Dysfunction can have many causes. Some of the common causes include:
- Stress and Anxiety – When a person is stressed or anxious, they may have trouble achieving an erection. This can be caused by the inability to become aroused because the mind is focused on other issues. Stress and anxiety can also increase blood pressure which can make it more difficult to achieve and maintain an erection.
- Depression – Depression can make it hard to focus on or otherwise interest in the things and lead to low libido in men. Furthermore, depression can make it difficult to connect to other people and thus hard to engage in sexual relationships.
- Feelings of Guilt – This can relate to past sexual performance or general feelings of guilt that can lead to anxiety or depression that can make it difficult to enjoy sexual activity and to achieve and maintain an erection.
- Low Self- Esteem – Low self-esteem can be caused by many issues such as past sexual performance, body image issues, or self-confidence issues. This can lead to feelings of inadequacy and shame, and which can result in anxiety and depression that make it hard to enjoy sexual activity and to achieve and maintain an erection.
- Lifestyle Factors – The role of lifestyle factors in ED, such as excessive alcohol use and smoking, may also be a cause of stress and anxiety that affect erectile function.
There are many common methods of relieving stress and anxiety that may be able to help with psychological erectile dysfunction. Breathing exercises are commonly recommended for stress and anxiety. This involves taking slow deep breaths to calm the nerves and get you moving forward. Meditation is also a commonly suggested method for managing stress and anxiety. Meditation is the practice of focusing your concentration. There are many methods of meditation, and it can help you clear your mind and reduce stress and anxiety.
Physical exercise is also a method of relieving stress and anxiety. Physical exercise releases endorphins which make you feel happier and more relaxed. Physical exercise has also been shown to lead to healthier blood flow for achieving and maintaining an erection.
Physical exercise can also help you lose weight and gain muscle mass. This can increase your body image and self-confidence potentially reducing self-esteem related psychological erectile dysfunction symptoms. Additionally, New Jersey erectile dysfunction treatment is available if you are still suffering from symptoms of ED.
Anxiety and Performance Pressure
Anxiety and performance pressure relate to negative thoughts on your ability to perform satisfactory sexual intercourse with your partner. This is a quite common form of psychological erectile dysfunction. Worries about sexual performance or your ability to satisfy your partner can lead to anxiety, making it hard to achieve and maintain an erection. This can even cause erectile dysfunction in young adults.
Common symptoms of performance anxiety can include negative thoughts before or during sex, worry or fear before, during, or even just the thought of sex, a decreased interest in sex, increased heart rate and sweating. These symptoms can compound the inability to achieve and maintain an erection and leave you feeling even more nervous.
Performance pressure can be caused by many factors. One’s own body image may cause performance anxiety because they do not feel attractive enough for their partner. Performance anxiety can also be caused by previous negative sexual experiences or relationship issues. This can cause negative thoughts and anxiety that make it difficult to achieve and maintain an erection.
Medical Assistance for Anxiety and Performance Pressure
Performance anxiety is a mental health issue that can be treated in many ways. Psychotherapy, or talk therapy, is the most common form of treatment for performance anxiety. This can include either individual therapy sessions or couples therapy where both partners can work out their issues on sexual performance.
Additionally, medicine, such as Viagra or Cialis, may prove beneficial to treat performance related erectile dysfunction. These medicines work by increasing blood flow to the penis to get a stronger erection.
Additionally, penile injections, where medicine is injected directly into the penis, or Testosterone Replacement Therapy may prove beneficial. A men’s health professional can be vital in determining the root cause of erectile dysfunction and suggesting the latest ed treatment.
Need Professional Help? Contact Alpha Men’s Today
If you are suffering from erectile dysfunction, the team at Alpha Men’s clinic can help. They are able to answer your questions and concerns to find the root cause of erectile dysfunction and discuss erectile dysfunction treatment. Contact Alpha Men’s Center today by visiting their website or calling 484-685-1301 to discuss the latest treatment for erectile dysfunction.